Synergy-COPD – Modelling and simulation environment for systems medicine (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -COPD- as a use case) - FP7-ICT-270086
The Synergy-COPD project used a systems approach to explore underlying mechanisms of of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) heterogeneity focusing on the systemic effects of the disease and the co-morbidity clustering. The research on pulmonary events was rather marginal in Synergy-COPD. The central hypothesis of the project was that systemic effects of COPD and co-morbidity clustering may share abnormal regulation of pivotal pathways leading to a progressive loss of integrative functions of the whole-body system as disease progresses. In this scenario, it is hypothesized that nitroso-redox disequilibrium plays a relevant role in COPD progression.
To this end, different modeling approaches were used as supporting tools aiming at covering three different aspects: i) to conceptualize and better understand underlying biological mechanisms of the phenomena targeted for study; ii) to identify combined biomarkers with potential predictive power; and, iii) to elaborate subject-specific predictive modeling for patient stratification in the clinical arena.
The main outcomes derived from the work at the Synergy-COPD project are:
- The most complex set of interconnected models for COPD
- A Simulation Environment, to execute the models and visualise their results (Open Source).
- A Knowledge base of COPD (Open Access) including semantic mapping between existing patient-specific data and models using ontologies and standards.
- A Clinical Decision Support System providing a wide set of web services for case finding, patient’s stratification, co-morbidity risk assessment and therapeutic advice.
- Execution period: 39 months from 1st February 2011 til 30th April 2014
- Total budget: 4.572.501 €
- Total funding: 3.494.000 €
- Website: http://www.synergy-copd.eu